Pattern: Gentleman’s Sock with Lozenge Pattern
Yarn: Trekking XXL, color 90
Needles: size 0
Began: December 2006 ; Completed: February 2007
Modifications: see below
After Christmas (or possibly on), I started socks for TH to wear to work. I used another pattern, Gentleman’s Sock with Lozenge Pattern, from Nancy Bush’s Knitting Vintage Socks. The socks have a round heel and a wide toe. I used Trekking XXL in color 90. I made several modifications to the pattern. I was concerned that I had enough yarn but I also wanted the socks long enough to go onto his calf.
I cast on 90 stitches on size 0 needles. I then made only 3 bands in the cuff (leaving out 1 repeat). Because the socks started at a size for TH’s calf, I needed to do some shaping to drop down in size for the ankle and foot. I started the pattern midway through a lozenge. I then knit 5 normal rounds of the pattern, and then started to decrease one stitch on either side of the seam on every other row until I had decreased a total of 10 stitches. I again dropped one repeat from the lozenge pattern. I think the rest of the sock was pretty much according to the pattern.
I hadn’t realized the yarn would stripe when I purchased it. I knew there would be subtle colors in it from the 3 plies in different colors, but it hadn’t occurred to me that it would also have subtle stripes. I like the striping, but it does obscure the lozenges a bit.
While still working on sock 1, I didn’t think I would have enough to quite make a 2nd sock. I ordered another skein from my LYS (local yarnshop). I liked the yarn and thought I could make a pair of socks for myself.
After I finished sock 1, I weighed the sock and the remaining yarn and realized I should have barely enough yarn without the now ordered 2nd skein. I finished the 2nd sock with a very small amount left.
TH likes the socks and wore them to work, but found they were too warm. They will work well for home since we keep the furnace fairly low. It is disappointing that wool socks are too warm for him at work.
The 2nd or third time he wore the socks, he caught one sock on something in the kitchen and got a hole in the toe. He immediately took them off so the hole didn’t get worse. When I looked at the sock, something really weird seemed to have happened. It looked really odd on the inside and appeared to me like about half a row had mysteriously changed to purl stitches. So I took out almost the whole toes and reknit after the hole with the remaining yarn. I barely had enough left to finish the toe. I think I actually made the toe a little shorter than the other sock so I could finish. I of course kept the yarn I had originally used for the toe, so I do still have some for any future mending. (It seems that TH is hard on heels so mending may well be in the future…)