On Thursday I finished TH’s vest.
Modifications:I resized a little because my gauge was a bit different and I thought TH was a bit between sizes.
Notes: I used 5/8″ buttons, but I think they are a bit small, so I bought 3/4″ today and I think they will hold better. It seems a bit big across the back. I think the fit is a bit better when I pull it in a bit at the top center back (it doesn’t stay on the shoulders as well as I would like). I don’t think there is anything I can do about that now. I tried to make it fit over loose shirts, so the arms are generous. However, when worn over a narrow shirt, it is too wide. This I could fix in some way with the side seams, but I think it will stay as is and be meant for loose shirts. That is the style of it anyway — it isn’t supposed to be a more fitted vest like Tristan wears in in All Creatures Great and Small.
This is my first real garment, so there were a lot of firsts with making it. Seaming together was new, as was three needle bind off and picking up stitches. I had done this before, but I don’t think I have been doing it correctly. I still may not be, but I at least figured out something different to do that would work for this. These are also my first buttonholes. The vest includes my first bit of cabling. I used Grumperina’s instructions for cabling without a cable needle and found them very clear.
I got it done in time for TH to wear to WhiskyFest on Friday. (We had a lot of fun, but I won’t talk about non-fiber stuff unless you ask).