Perfectionism

This post is a week late in going up. Hopefully I will post again soon about where the sweater is now.

While working on the sweater, I am learning various things about myself as a knitter. None of them are at all surprising. First off, I like knitting math, so I find altering a pattern to match my gauge fun.. Second, my row gauge is variable, especially with cotton. To counter this problem I have chosen to alter the pattern to make it in one piece rather than having to get the side seams to match up and having the pattern being at all off. This leads to the last point, that I am a perfectionist. I will rip out vast quantities of knitting to fix an error. I have knowingly let some errors stay, but I know if I will see it very often, it will really bug me.

When you are knitting a 40” wide thing to become a cardigan and you notice an error an inch or two down, what do you do? I have been ripping it out and fixing. As I was moving along through the sweater, I kept trying to check carefully for mistakes. You would think I wouldn’t need to look so carefully, because if I couldn’t see the mistake easily, how bad could it be? No, I have to look carefully and fix what I can. Some of the mistakes are weird pattern mistakes I have made. More of them are where I have only picked up on or two parts of the ply. Because I think these are places that will lead to weakness in the garment, I am especially intolerant of these errors.

Last week I found two errors, and inch or two down from where I was. This would require a fair bit of ripping, but I was ready for it. For some reason, while talking with TH in the coffee house, I carefully checked the whole thing and found an error about six inches down. A pattern problem, not a place where I split the yarn. I decided I would live with it because I was not ripping that much out.

Each time I have been fixing the mistakes I have tried to rip out only the relevant stitches. For the most part, I had not been successful at fixing this way, and would end up ripping out the entire row. When I tried to fix one of the problems only an inch or two down, I figured out how to fix the errors in this pattern. So now I had a real problem. Do I rip out all the rows down to the mistake I was going to leave alone or risk not being able to put it back together and rip down 6-7 inches? You of course know the answer. I had to fix the problem if I could.

You can see the error here, just above the safety pin.

I don’t recall if these steps required dark chocolate or scotch as reinforcement. probably it required both. Here it is ripped down.

And now halfway back:

And here full back together! The tension is off, but I am hoping this will even out with blocking and wearing.

In other news, we haven’t been able to sit on our porch as much as we would like because this bird

has been unhappy about us sitting close to this nest on our porch.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s