At Spinner’s last month, NW showed us yarn and roving dyed with Kool-Aid. She then gave packets to any of us who wanted to try it and referred us to an article in Knitty. I thought it sounded like a good Memorial Day weekend activity.
Of course, I couldn’t just use the packets by themselves, I had to experiment a bit more. NW had some very nice colors by dyeing grey. I decided to mix the colors to see what I could get. By Kool-Aid dyeing standards I was pretty careful about measurements, but I was pretty casual in my measurements.
I used fleece from an unknown breed, but I think the sheep was named Freckles. (Yes, very useful piece of information.) Maybe M remembers – I bought it with her about 9 years ago specifically for combing. The wool was cleanish. It was a bit greasy and some of the locks were quite tight and in most cases I made not attempt to loosened them up to absorb the dye better (so the results are uneven, which should help with the over bright colors).
I weighed out about 12 gr (+/- 2 g) for each sample.
I did 5 samples at a time using 2 packets of Kool-Aid (or Mixaid)
I mixed each packet with about 10 T of water. I then added dyes to the 5 small containers in the following manner:
Dye A: 4 T Dye B: 0 T
Dye A: 3 T Dye B: 1 T
Dye A: 2 T Dye B: 2 T
Dye A: 1 T Dye B: 3 T
Dye A: 0 T Dye B: 4 T
Starting at the right in the photo, the pairs are:
Mixaid Tropical Punch & Mixaid Grape
Mixaid Tropical Punch & Kool-Aid Lemonade
Mixaid Strawberry & Mixaid Lemon-Lime
Mixaid Strawberry & Kool-Aid Orange
Kool-Aid Black Cherry & Kool-Aid Lemon-Lime
Kool-Aid Grape & Kool-Aid Orange
The 2nd to last pair above included ½ t of Black Cherry with the Lemon-Lime to mute the green a smidge.
The last pair included 1 t of the other color in the first and last samples
I then added enough water to cover the already wet wool and put it in the microwave for 2.5 minutes (my initial water was warm but not really hot). I let it sit for a bit and then another 2 minutes. I waited again and then another 2 minutes. I checked it at this time to see if it was done. I think I went a few more times on a couple of these in a failed attempt to get all the color to be picked up. (The red dyes fully absorbed but the yellow and the blue were not fully absorbed by the wool.)