Last May, our spinner’s group learned about the Texel breed. It is a Dutch meat breed, but the wool is pretty nice—very springy. M told us it was reputed to take dye well. We each took a few handfuls to wash and then spin. M had a small amount of clean and carded fiber for us. I can’t find it right now, but take my word for it, it looks like a fairly small skein of white wool.
I washed my several handfuls and then brought it to M’s to dye in June (see previous post, Playing with Dyes), using a mixture of Azalea, Orchid, PawPaw, Tomato, Madder Orange Gaywool dyes. We could confirm that yes, the Texel takes dye quite well. I’m sure we used too much dye for this batch, and some of the colors we clearly stronger than others. The Paw Paw was very weak. The Tomato and Madder Orange were largely obliterated by the Azalea and Orchid. So much for the idea of an orange and pink mixture.
In November M and I card this. After the first pass the colors remained fairly distinct:
After the 2nd pass it was much more uniform. (This is several batts in a bag, packed for home)
After I finished the merino silk, I started spinning this. I haven’t been spending regular time spinning, so it is going rather slowly. I have one bobbin full. It is also still a a bit trashy, including some short bits. The floor where I spin gets messy from the things I pull out. This is what was left a couple weeks ago.
There is a little variation in the color, but since we carded it twice, it is quite pink. Excessively pink. If it wasn’t a breed I knew nothing about, I would ply it with something else to tone it down, but I want to keep it all Texel.