I should have known, I really should have, since silk is a protein fiber. It just didn’t occur to me that moths might eat silk. A while back we had a small infestation of moths. I think they were mostly confined to my poorly stored WIPs. I have found damage on a baby surprise jacket, a cardigan for me and socks for TH. I recently finished a silk scarf and when I got to the end, I looked at the whole thing and then saw the holes.
I immediately used safety pins to stop the holes from growing and to decide what to do.
I didn’t have much yarn left. I first considered mending the spots, but I wasn’t really sure how to do this without being obvious. The was about 5″ in the middle that needed serious help.
I decided to split the scarf, putting a needle on on either side of the bad regions. This shows the needle in and beginning to pick up the stitches.
After the scarf was in two pieces, it was easy to rip back to the first needle.
I then had two sections and varying lengths of yarn.
Then I watched two videos on garter stitch kitchener so I could join the two sections. The pattern for garter kitchener is knit-knit-purl-purl, so it is a bit different than regular kitchener. The first time went pretty well, but after I was done, I realized I should have remove one more row; I had connected a front with the back and the pattern was wrong. The incorrect row is to the left of the needle.
Finally, back together, correctly.
Next up: blocking.