Color problems

Several years ago, DJ gave me a lot of yarn. Included was some really nice yarn in WK colors that I decided to use for the Back-to-School U-Neck Vest. I didn’t have enough so I ordered more, but didn’t pay a lot of attention to it when it came arrived. The yarn has a lot of colors in it so I thought that a different dye lot couldn’t be too bad. I got about halfway done with the vest using the original yarn and then pulled out the new yarn. Completely different! Same colorway, but it is in clear, bright DJ colors not the lovely muted fall colors that I was expecting. Fortunately I over bought the new yarn and should have enough for the whole vest and I’ll be once again left with the original yarn from DJ. Now I need to decide if I will be overdyeing the vest with a yellow/brown to tone the colors. I’ll get a picture taken and posted, I promise, but for now I thought I’d at least post something.

Advertisements

Cotton Chenille Vest

A couple of years ago, DJ gave me a lot of yarn because a store was going out of business. Included in the collection were 3 hanks of periwinkle Crystal Palace cotton chenille. The color was obviously meant for DJ and chenille is not something I particularly like. I decided to do something with it and found a vest pattern on the Crystal palace site. It called for a hood, which I didn’t like at all. However, the parti-color look seemed like a good thing for DJ. I bought a hank each of hot pink and royal purple at my Mom’s LYS last January and then started a vest. You may have noticed that this is the first garment I ever tried to make. I thought the big yarn and very square shape would be good for a first project. In this respect I was correct. I think basic wool would have been an easier choice because the chenille is, well, not wool.

I started the vest last winter and then got stuck. It wasn’t that it was so hard, it’s just that I was (am) still learning and it wasn’t coming together. I buried the vest in the closet, which I believe is the appropriate thing to do with any project causing problems.

After I made the vest for TH and sweater for myself, the DJ’s vest didn’t seem so challenging, so I pulled it out and finished it on the way to and at my sister’s house this summer. I say finished, but we didn’t find buttons. I think she is also going to try to do something more to it, because, it really isn’t that great. In fact, looking at the picture tonight, it is pretty bad. But I made it and gave it away and DJ can turn it into a dishcloth for all I care now.

I couldn’t get the colors in the picture to adjust properly to show the right side as hot pink, so you’ll just have to pretend.

vest 2

Pattern: Cotton Chenille + Blippity Hoodie Cardigan Vest
Yarn: Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille, colors 9660 (purple), 9628 (periwinkle), 1219 (pink)
Needles: maybe size 8?
Began: Jan. or Feb 2007 ; Completed: August 2007
Modifications:Removed hood, reshaped the neck and added contrast color to neck

Notes: I had no idea how to get the chenille ends to stay put, so I would up sewing them down (zig zag with a sewing machine). I think I may have sewn it together too on the machine (hey, they do it with a lot of store bought things, and since I couldn’t figure out how to do it the right way without just pitching the project in disgust, I thought it was a good cheat.

I knit the front panels a couple of times but I never got consistent gauge. I tried to block it, but it still seemed lumpy and misshapen. In fairness, the photo is of it without blocking the edging. I left it with my sister in that condition. If the edging don’t lay down well after washing to look OK, I’m assuming it will never be worn, so I don’t think it is too awful to leave my sister with the undone vest. She is a talented seamstress and artist, so maybe she can make a silk purse out of this sow’s ear.

I did enjoy making it as a first project and I learned a lot, so it was worthwhile. And the chenille will pick up cat hair beautifully, so it is a perfect garment for DJ. If she ever does add button or some other closure, I hope she’ll send me a picture.

Classic Camel Vest

On Thursday I finished TH’s vest.

Vest 1

Pattern: Classic Camel Vest, from Men in Knits
Yarn:
Cascade 220 Heathers (2445), 4 skeins
Needles: Size 7 (and 5 and 6)
Began: February 2007 ; Completed: April 2007

Modifications:I resized a little because my gauge was a bit different and I thought TH was a bit between sizes.

Notes: I used 5/8″ buttons, but I think they are a bit small, so I bought 3/4″ today and I think they will hold better. It seems a bit big across the back. I think the fit is a bit better when I pull it in a bit at the top center back (it doesn’t stay on the shoulders as well as I would like). I don’t think there is anything I can do about that now. I tried to make it fit over loose shirts, so the arms are generous. However, when worn over a narrow shirt, it is too wide. This I could fix in some way with the side seams, but I think it will stay as is and be meant for loose shirts. That is the style of it anyway — it isn’t supposed to be a more fitted vest like Tristan wears in in All Creatures Great and Small.

This is my first real garment, so there were a lot of firsts with making it. Seaming together was new, as was three needle bind off and picking up stitches. I had done this before, but I don’t think I have been doing it correctly. I still may not be, but I at least figured out something different to do that would work for this. These are also my first buttonholes. The vest includes my first bit of cabling. I used Grumperina’s instructions for cabling without a cable needle and found them very clear.

I got it done in time for TH to wear to WhiskyFest on Friday. (We had a lot of fun, but I won’t talk about non-fiber stuff unless you ask).